Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy MLK Day from DoD!

Dr. King, with the author and her younger daughter :)

Martin Luther King Jr. is my favorite historical figure. I don't think I need to issue a diatribe as to why, although I will say I am a huge advocate for civil liberties ( one of my first jobs was at the ACLU). Quite simply, I can't think of a 20th Century American more deserving of a national holiday.

I don't think Dr. King was much of a drinker, but I'm sure he'd say we all have the right to have a beer in his honor if we so choose. Also, interestingly enough, Martin Luther, the founder of the Protestant church who Dr. King was named after, was a beer advocate with some interesting things to say on the subject of beer (check out this article on Martin Luther and beer from the Brookston Beer Bulletin)! So, if you want to raise a glass the name of Dr. Martin Luther King, here are some excellent beers from his hometown of Atlanta:

A remarkably well balanced and extremely drinkable pale ale that is fairly easy to find in stores throughout the South.












Red Brick Porter:  
Complex, yet smooth, this porter stands out with its ability to create harmony between a myriad of malt-derived flavors (chocolate, coffee, toffee, smoked nuts, etc.). A good homage to Dr. King's emphasis on diversity, no?




Gordon Biersch makes quite a few good Bocks (a uniquely rich and flavorful lager), many of which are seasonal (only available during specific seasons). Since winter beers are still currently on the shelves, it makes the most since to feature their Winter Bock, a  very sweet, full-bodied beer which goes perfectly with comfort food from the Atlanta area. 





And while you're having a beer in Dr. King's honor, why not drink it out of an MLK beer stein?
This one even includes one of my favorite MLK quotes: "We must concentrate not merely on the negative expulsion of war but the positive affirmation of peace."


No comments:

Post a Comment